TIPS:Always use low-sodium chicken broth.Click here to download in PDF format.
For a much zestier soup, use hot Rotel tomatoes.
Kids will have fun preparing the toppings.
Let them grate the cheese, crush the tortillas and slice the avocados.
Recipes & Tips »»»
By: Tracey Koch.
1 pound chicken breast, cut into pieces
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. chili
2 tbls. lime juice
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbls. vegetable oil
1 16-oz can mild Rotel tomatoes
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped yellow squash
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
Toppings for soup: crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, and sliced avocados.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken with the lime juice, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Set them aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
2. In a 6-quart stock pot, sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Add in the chicken and continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
4. Pour in the Rotel tomatoes, squash and zucchini, stirring until everything is incorporated.
5. Pour in the chicken broth and bring the soup up to a simmer.
6. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally 15-20 or until the vegetables and chicken tender. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Underwriters for Kids Dish: