LPB’s Prescription for Health
LSWI3504 - October 7, 2011
Dr. Rani Whitfield joins LPB on the first Friday of every month to discuss important health issues. This month’s topic is breast cancer and October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month across the country.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
1) In 2011, about 230,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Around 30,000 women will die from breast cancer.
2) Mortality rates have decreased over the past years due to awareness, treatment advances, and aggressive diagnosis.
3) Early detection and self-examination are keys to effective treatment.
4) Some signs of breast cancer:
a. A lump or thickening in or near the breast or under the arm pit
b. A change in the size of the breast
c. Nipple discharge/tenderness
d. An inverted nipple
e. Pitting of the breast tissue resembling an orange peel
f. A change in the look or feel of the breast
5) Educate yourself, be informed
Click Here for more!
Kelly Connelly produces Capitol Beat, a nightly news segment during the legislative… »»» READ MORE
Television news has fascinated Shauna Sanford for as long as she can… »»» READ MORE
Emmy award winning broadcaster Charlie Whinham joined Louisiana Public Broadcasting in the… »»» READ MORE